Saturday, May 26, 2012

Abbey and Me...

In August of 2012, my dog "Abbey" and I will take a little 150 mile hike along the Pacific Crest Trail from Donner Pass to the town of Belden. Abbey is named for my literary hero, Ed Abbey---and so this blog will consist of a quote from Ed Abbey (provided on a serendipitous basis from the great Eric Temple and his Ed Abbey Facebook page), followed by some sort of training log, thoughts and whatever from yours truly.

To start it will be a training log. The trip itself will be written about after it is completed. Some folks have followed me in other blogs: welcome. Others might be new. What ever happens, I hope it is fun.

And so, the first Ed Abbey quote is from today:

"A young man should be an adventurer. A middle-aged man should be a producer of useful goods for his fellow humans, a good husband to a wife, and father of children. And an old man should again be an adventurer, not physical as in youth, but an adventurer in ideas."

Sounds like a good place to start. I'd only add that it is important for an old man to be an adventurer physically too.

2 comments:

  1. You aren't that old. Good for you taking this adventure! Great quote from Ed Abbey. I will have to read more of him. He was a great adventurer in ideas always. I will be anxious to follow this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackijo,

    I'm glad you are coming along for yet another adventure. Abbey, both the dog and the man, are treasures...

    ReplyDelete